For years, gay activists and their allies have mocked our “slippery slope” arguments about the implications of normalizing homosexual practice and homosexual “marriage,” telling us there is no slippery slope. It turns out they were right. It’s an avalanche, not a slippery slope!
In the last two years, we have witnessed unprecedented advances in “gay rights” in America and abroad, including the aggressive advocacy of President Obama, the revamping of the Boy Scouts, two major Supreme Court rulings and statewide votes legalizing same-sex “marriage.”
What else has come along with these “advances”?
1. Semantic insanity. As England moves toward redefining marriage, the Daily Telegraph reports, “The word ‘husband’ will in future be applied to women and the word ‘wife’ will refer to men, the Government has decided.” According to John Bingham, “Civil servants have overruled the Oxford English Dictionary and hundreds years of common usage, effectively abolishing the traditional meaning of the words for spouses.”
In the government’s proposed guidelines, “‘Husband’ here will include a man or a woman in a same-sex marriage, as well as a man married to a woman. In a similar way, ‘wife’ will include a woman married to another woman or a man married to a man.”
So, a man could be a wife if married to another man (or not), while a woman could be a husband if married to another woman (or not), all of which begs the question: Why use words at all if they have utterly lost their meaning? It’s like saying that up is down (or up) and down is up (or down), while north is south (or north) and south is north (or south).
But this is what happens when marriage is redefined.
2. The war on gender. The Girl Scouts announced last year that, according to their official policy, a boy who identifies as a girl and presents himself as a girl can join the Girl Scouts, while there are now cases of cross-dressing males being named prom queen in their high schools.
On a regular basis, parents are fighting for (and winning) the “right” for their gender-confused child to use the bathroom of his or her current gender identification (with recent cases involving elementary schools).
Last week, California lawmakers took this a step further, approving a bill “that would require public K-12 schools to let transgender students choose which restrooms they use and which school teams they join based on their gender identity instead of their chromosomes.”
So, 17-year-old Jane, who believes she is Johnny, can not only choose to use the boy’s bathroom, she can also choose to play on the men’s basketball team.
Last year, young ladies accessing a college campus swimming pool used by college and high-school students were shocked to see a naked man (who thought he was a woman) in the sauna—the police report stated that “she” was exposing “her male genitalia”—but college officials said they could not act on this because of their policies against gender-identity discrimination.
And in a ruling better suited for a sci-fi movie about time travel, some courts have decided that someone who had sex-change surgery could also change their birth certificate. Yes, a man who had sex-change surgery at the age of 50 can now change his birth certificate to say that he was born female.
3. Thou shalt not dissent. Forget about live and let live. In this new era of “tolerance and diversity,” the state—not just an aggrieved individual—is now taking people to court for standing by their most basic religious convictions, with cases too numerous to mention. (Even to cite my own articles citing recent cases would be too time consuming.)
Most recently, the Colorado attorney feneral’s office filed a formal complaint against Jack Phillips of Masterpiece Cakeshop for declining the business of two gay men who wanted to celebrate their “marriage” in Massachusetts with a wedding reception in Colorado. He could face one year in prison if convicted.
And while President Obama and the liberal media and elite entertainers gleefully celebrated the Supreme Court’s overturning of the Defense of Marriage Act, Dan Cathy, president and chief operating officer of Chick-fil-A, was vilified by the press for tweeting, “Sad day for our nation; founding fathers would be ashamed of our gen. to abandon wisdom of the ages re: cornerstone of strong societies.”
In other words, if you don’t affirm gay activism, thou shalt not tweet. (How telling it is that Cathy’s tweet was quickly removed.)
4. Polyamorists and polygamists are thrilled. Not only did Showtime feature a polyamory reality TV show to complement the already successful polygamy reality shows, but polyamorists and polygamists are now sharpening their cases for the courts, emboldened by the ongoing redefinition of marriage.
After all, if “love is love”—the latest mindless mantra—then why must it be limited to two people? Based on what? We can rest assured that Justice Anthony Kennedy would have no good answer to that question.
In England, a Christian political leader explained to my radio show listeners that Muslims have been conspicuously silent regarding the national debate on same-sex “marriage,” simply waiting for it to pass, at which time they will push for polygamy.
5. The will of the people must be overturned. Immediately after the Supreme Court rulings, gay activists announced their intention to make same-sex “marriage” the law of the land within the next 10 years, at the latest.
That means bringing constant legal challenges to the 30 states that enshrined natural marriage in their constitutions. As stated by Chad Griffin, president of the Human Rights Campaign, in a July 2 fundraising letter, “I’m ... heading straight to some of the reddest areas of Mississippi, North Carolina, Virginia, and Arkansas to meet with local groups, legislators, and community members about the next phase of this movement's work.”
So much for the democratic process. So much for the will of the people.
6. Even Lucky Charms is gay. The Huffington Post reports, “General Mills has come out in support of the gay community for Pride, and what better way to show their love than with the Lucky Charms marshmallow rainbow?”
And we can’t forget the recent cover of the New Yorker depicting a gay Bert and Ernie celebrating the Supreme Court decisions, despite the fact that in 2011, the Sesame Workshop made clear that Bert and Ernie are “puppets and do not have a sexual orientation.”
And here’s the scary news. The avalanche has barely started.
So once more I raise my voice and shout to my fellow-leaders and fellow-believers: Do the right thing today or be crushed tomorrow.
Michael Brown is author of The Real Kosher Jesus and host of the nationally syndicated talk radio show The Line of Fire on the Salem Radio Network. He is also president of FIRE School of Ministry and director of the Coalition of Conscience. Follow him at AskDrBrown on Facebook or @drmichaellbrown on Twitter.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details