A tawdry and titillating TV trend is under way. Seven—that's right, seven—shows are being rolled out on cable and satellite channels featuring one central theme: complete nudity.
Romans 1:21-32, written to an enlightened civilization that completely destroyed itself, lays out a pattern repeated throughout history that has become America's story:
• Reject truth
• Lose discernment
• Experience moral chaos
Here's the deal: the crisis in our culture is a crisis of truth. Unless we categorically and decisively reject the secularist, moral relativism of 21st-century America, we are doomed. This is not a scare tactic; this is sober reality. Our hope is that God in His mercy would send a spiritual awakening reversing this trend before it's too late.
Dating Naked is simply another alarming societal development that is evidence of our deep-seated decline. The scary thing is that multitudes of Christians will tune in with a ho-hum, humorous take on the show, while they munch their Doritos and Papa John's pizza perched next to their significant other.
I've not seen this show nor the other ones that I will mention. I have seen advertisements in magazines featuring attractive couples standing totally in the buff except for a minuscule X strategically placed over crotches and nipples. As a "watchman on the wall," I did some research, which is the basis for this commentary.
• Dating Naked introduces six complete strangers of the opposite sex totally au natural. Frontal private parts are barely pixilated while attractive contestants hug, hold hands, swim, enjoy mud baths, surf, horseback ride, boogie board, sit around the campfire and sip Jack Daniels as they passionately kiss and make out without a stitch of clothing. At the conclusion, the six contestants (Wee Wee and Joe were two in the first episode) stand across from each other naked and choose their "soul mates."
One lust-filled guy snickered, "It usually takes me three or four dates to see my girl naked, but this is a timesaver!" Hilarious.
The female producer of the show, Susan Levison, gushes her defense, "It's a search for true love." Yeah, right.
Other shows include:
• Naked and Afraid, where unclothed castaways stroll around an island.
• Buying Naked, which features nude couples making real estate transactions.
• Naked Vegas and Skin Wars, about nude body painting.
• Born in the Wild, which shows nude pregnant women giving birth in the woods.
• Sex Box, which features nude couples copulating in soundproof boxes then discussing with therapists.
Have you had enough? These shows all are on what are considered "basic cable" channels, rather than pay channels like HBO, which means that by law they must adhere to the same decency standards as the broadcast networks. But it's easy to see how those standards have slipped since the era of Leave It to Beaver.
This is not humorous; it's harmful. It's voyeurism and exhibitionism. It's also sinful and sets a horrible example for our youth. And yes, it's all about ratings and money and pushing the envelope further under the guise of "entertainment."
The music industry is doing the same thing, as unsuspecting parents and children are drawn into this web of decadence.
• The triple-platinum "Happy" song by baby-face Pharrell Williams from Despicable Me 2 has become the iconic anthem of this generation. His distinctive style lures youth to his "Blurred Lines" megahit featuring nude, from-the-waist-up, gyrating models, which promotes date rape.
• American Idol Judge Nicki Minaj appeals to kids with her colorful, cutesy persona. Her just released X-rated album flaunts her "assets" on the cover in an utterly disgusting, 99 percent naked G-string squat.
• Hannah Montana, now the twerking Miley Cyrus, swings completely naked in her "Wrecking Ball" video that has more than 700 million hits worldwide.
And many Christians don't think our nation is falling off the rails and desperately in need of revival? God help us! Psalm 12:8 describes our culture: "vileness is exalted among the children of man."
- Next >>
Great Resources to help you excel in 2019! #1 John Eckhardt's "Prayers That..." 6-Book Bundle. Prayer helps you overcome anything life throws at you. Get a FREE Bonus with this bundle. #2 Learn to walk in the fullness of your purpose and destiny by living each day with Holy Spirit. Buy a set of Life in the Spirit, get a second set FREE.