For all the attention given to the changing views of young Christians in recent years, the next generation shares at least one opinion with their parents: They are opposed to abortion.
So says a recent Barna Group survey, which looked at current views about abortion from Americans in all age groups and found that born-again Christians between the ages of 18 and 25 were actually more likely to support strong views about the subject than older adults.
Among the rest of Americans, abortion continues to be a divisive issue and one that is generally informed by a person's faith. Among evangelical Christians, 78 percent believe that abortion should be illegal in most or all cases. Similarly, 72 percent of atheists and agnostics believe in keeping abortion legal. These groups were the most likely to express unyielding resistance or support for the practice.
However, many Americans seem to be drifting to more moderate opinions on the subject. Some 57 percent of those polled expressed mildly supportive or unsupportive opinions, and 9 percent said they were "not sure" how they felt. The numbers of Americans with moderate or unsure opinions have increased since surveys in the 1990s and early 2000s.
Said Barna Group President David Kinnaman: "The standard debate may seem toned down as both sides of the ideological spectrum have tried to find common objective, such as limiting the number of abortions and pursuing adoption reform, although some have questioned how serious either contingent really is about these goals."
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Incredible Savings, Inspiration and Encouragement from CHARISMA:
- End Of The Year - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
- Big Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, and more.
- FREE eCourses by CHARISMA: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Women Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.