In the mountains near Kingston, Jamaica, City of Refuge Children's Home is cultivating two of the country's most precious resources: children and coffee.
Assemblies of God missionaries Steve and Kim Puffpaff decided to open a children's home after witnessing countless orphaned children living on the streets. In 2002, thanks to donations, the couple purchased property in Jamaica's Blue Mountains and transformed a former luxury hotel on the property into a children's home.
A second children's home was opened in 2004. Now some 60 young people who were once abused and abandoned receive food, clothing, shelter and education.
When the Puffpaffs bought the 26-acre property, rare and expensive coffee was growing on it. With hopes of fully sustaining the ministry on its profits, the couple hired local coffee engineers and began a Blue Mountain Coffee business.
Only a select few people, who must be registered with the Jamaican government, are authorized to grow and sell Blue Mountain Coffee. The Puffpaffs' fully operational facility grows, roasts and sells the coffee, which is well-known worldwide for yielding a flavorful taste with a distinct lack of bitterness.
Though the business doesn't support the entire orphanage, Steve Puffpaff says that is the ultimate goal.
"We believe that this coffee can actually go a long way to supporting the home," he says. "Our goal is for the home to be self-sustaining. This is a real vital part of the ministry of the City of Refuge."
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Incredible Savings, Inspiration and Encouragement from CHARISMA:
- End Of The Year - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
- Big Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, and more.
- FREE eCourses by CHARISMA: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Women Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.