A public school district violated the law when it promoted a mission trip sponsored by the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, according to a judge appointed by President Obama.
Federal Judge R. Brooke Jackson determined the Douglas County School District in Colorado violated the Establishment Clause by promoting a FCA mission trip to Guatemala.
The American Humanist Association had filed suit against the Douglas County School District in 2014 on behalf of an unnamed parent.
The parent, who had a child enrolled in a grade school, had objected to the school district's promotion of the mission trip to "run camps for Guatemalan orphans."
The grade schoolers, including the plaintiff's child, had been encouraged to contribute items like toothpaste, soap and shampoo to the mission trip project.
"As non-Christians, the school's actions in promoting and endorsing a Christian organization ... made us feel like outsiders and unwelcome in our own community," the plaintiff said in court papers.
The plaintiff went on to say her son was "questioned and maltreated by his classmates for his beliefs underlying the reason he did not participate in the drive."
The court ruled that the school district's actions were an excessive government entanglement with religion.
"Religious minorities in public schools should never be faced with school-sponsored activity that promotes the majority religion," AHA legal director David Niose said in a prepared statement.
The court also determined that the district had supported an overtly Christian cause. Well, what other kind of cause would the Fellowship of Christian Athletes be supporting?
Only a group of "humanists" would be offended by Christian teenagers helping impoverished orphan children in a foreign country.
And only a federal judge appointed by President Obama would say giving children a bottle of shampoo in the name of Jesus is against the law.
Todd Starnes is host of "Fox News & Commentary," heard on hundreds of radio stations. Sign up for his American Dispatch newsletter, be sure to join his Facebook page and follow him on Twitter. His latest book is The Deplorables' Guide to Making America Great Again.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details