A Catholic social worker says she was fired after she refused to compromise her religious beliefs regarding marriage.
Kathleen Lorentzen, of Saginaw, Michigan, said her bosses at HealthSource Saginaw told her she had to "be a social worker first and a Catholic second," according to a lawsuit filed in federal court.
Ms. Lorentzen, who had an outstanding record as a licensed, clinical social worker, was given the heave-ho after she declined to provide marital counseling for a same-sex couple.
The Thomas More Law Center said providing counseling would have violated her religious beliefs regarding the sanctity of marriage as the union between one man and one woman.
She asked her supervisor to refer the couple to another therapist, which is her right under federal civil rights laws.
However, she was aggressively interrogated by a company manager as well as her supervisor.
At one point, one of the men dismissively referred to the teachings of the Catholic Church by saying, 'They are just priests,'" the lawsuit alleges.
HealthSource did not return calls seeking comment. Click here to read the lawsuit.
"This case shows that people of faith are under assault in the workplace," Thomas More attorney Tyler Brooks said. "The fact is, however, that Christians need not choose between their faith and their jobs."
To be clear, Ms. Lorentzen has counseled many gay patients during her stellar career. However, she will not provide marriage counseling for gay couples.
"Despite what many would have us believe, discrimination against Christians is a civil rights violation that will subject employers to legal liability," Brooks said.
Perhaps this lawsuit will settle the recent debate over whether gay rights trump everyone else's rights.
Todd Starnes is host of "Fox News & Commentary," heard on hundreds of radio stations. Sign up for his American Dispatch newsletter, be sure to join his Facebook page and follow him on Twitter. His latest book is The Deplorables' Guide to Making America Great Again.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details