Thou shall not study thy Bible—at least not during lunchtime.
That's the new commandment at Hudsonville Elementary School in Michigan. The school district shut down a lunchtime Bible study for fifth-graders that was led by a teacher.
"The teacher (who thought the Bible discussion was appropriate because it was during lunch and voluntary) immediately put an end to these lunch meetings," Hudsonville Public Schools wrote in a statement to television station WOOD. "We will continue to communicate and educate staff at all levels on the District's policies related to religion in schools."
The controversy started after the Michigan Association of Civil Rights Activists ratted out the young Bible scholars. And they wasted no time in gloating over their victory.
"This illegal and unconstitutional activity was being conducted without parental notification or consent," the organization said in a news release. "One parent told MACRA that their child, who is only 10 years old, was singled out and subjected to peer pressure for declining to attend the Bible studies."
The school district pretty much threw the teacher under the bus—telling MLive.com they had no idea the group was even meeting during lunchtime.
"We'd like to see the district take a more proactive stance in communicating across the district that teachers and volunteers are not to be involved with religion during the school day," a spokesman for MACRA told MLive.com.
Apparently, the biggest disciplinary issue in Hudsonville Public Schools is young people sneaking a peek at the Good Book while they're eating a bologna sandwich.
I could see where that would trigger microaggressions among non-believers—and maybe a little indigestion.
Todd Starnes is host of "Fox News & Commentary," heard on hundreds of radio stations. Sign up for his American Dispatch newsletter, be sure to join his Facebook page and follow him on Twitter. His latest book is The Deplorables' Guide to Making America Great Again.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer