There are a lot of patriotic students at Vista Del Lago High School in Folsom, California. So you can imagine their shock when they were warned that chanting "USA" at sporting events and pep rallies could appear to be inappropriate and intolerant.
"We can communicate an unintended message," the school's principal wrote in a letter to parents.
What would the unintended message be—that young people still love the red, white and blue?—that they want to make America great again?
Folsom Cordova Unified Communications Director Daniel Thigpen told the television station they have not banned the chant. They just want young people to be more considerate when they chant.
"To practice empathy, to practice kindness and to practice patriotism—you can do both," Thigpen said.
The school's principal suggested there are appropriate times to chant—like following the national anthem or the Pledge of Allegiance.
"I think it's really sad that chanting 'USA' in our country has even become a negative thing," one parent told the television station.
The California Interscholastic Federation notified school districts across the state about concerns the "USA" chant might be used in a derogatory manner.
But that does not appear to be the case at Vista Del Lago High School.
"To say 'USA,' you know, we're all the same," student Ryan Bernal told the television station. "We're all American. It doesn't matter what your skin tone is or where you're from."
That young man has more common sense that most of the grownups in charge of the school district.
"We're all one," Ryan said. "We all stand as one together."
It should be stressed that there's never been a complaint about the "USA" chants—not one.
The only people expressing angst about public demonstrations of America pride are school staffers.
Perhaps the school district should be more concerned about the unintended message that sends.
Todd Starnes is host of "Fox News & Commentary," heard on hundreds of radio stations. Sign up for his American Dispatch newsletter, be sure to join his Facebook page and follow him on Twitter. His latest book is The Deplorables' Guide to Making America Great Again.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer