Proverbs 24:5 says, "A wise man is strong; yes, a man of knowledge increases strength."
Knowledge is power.
This aphorism is true in nearly every area of life, but it is life-altering when it comes to the things of the Spirit. Knowledge of the Holy Spirit is the believer's greatest power.
It is one thing to experience the Holy Spirit and His power, but it is another thing to understand His workings in and through us.
When the Holy Spirit fell on those gathered in the Upper Room, a crowd formed around them and became "amazed" (Acts 2:7).
They looked at each other and asked, "How is it that we hear [one another], each in our own native language?" (v. 8). Those speaking in tongues knew they were experiencing the fulfillment of God's promise in the Old Testament and Jesus' profound gift to them during His ministry.
What had happened?
It wasn't due to new wine, as some onlookers wrongly assumed—but the Holy Spirit had much to teach them in the days and weeks to come about how and why they needed His power. We see in the Scriptures that the more they operated in His dunamis, the more their lives and ministries flourished, and the greater their impact was on others.
The same is often true in our experience in the 21st century. For many of us, our understanding of the Holy Spirit matures only after we experience His infilling. Since this is the case, we must ask ourselves: What does it look like to cultivate maturity in the Holy Spirit? How do we go about growing in our knowledge of Him and His working so that His power can flow through us more freely?
First and foremost, knowledge comes from experience. The more we invite the Spirit of God to speak to us, to speak through us, to shape our lives and to determine our paths, the more we will know of Him and how He works. The more we learn, the more readily and powerfully we will see Him at work.
Secondly, I cherish a constant awareness of the Holy Spirit. Just as we are to "pray without ceasing" (1 Thess. 5:17), we should meditate on and be on the lookout for the Holy Spirit in and around us at all times.
There are five things that I keep at the forefront of my mind about the Holy Spirit:
- Jesus received the Holy Spirit, and He is God's example for my life. I am constantly reminding myself through the victories as well as the downfalls that Jesus' life is my standard and example in all things.
- The Holy Spirit is God the Father's promise to every believer. Jesus told His disciples in John 16 that it was for our good that He left, so the Holy Spirit could come. He would never have promised us something that He didn't want us to have or didn't think we needed.
- The Holy Spirit is a promise fulfilled, and He is our Helper and our Comforter. The Holy Spirit intensifies the anointing of God in my life, and that intensity comes through the power of seeking Him daily.
- The Holy Spirit is the source of God's power in all believers. We cannot run on yesterday's fuel; we must face this world with fresh holy power every day.
- The Holy Spirit is the presence of the kingdom of God in my life. Kingdom life is when we are in right standing with God, walking in His peace, which goes beyond all understanding, and the effervescence of joy that comes from the river of living water flowing through us. What God is doing in our minds needs to be continually shown to the world so that they may see our good works and glorify our Father in heaven.
These principles may seem simple, but they are powerful truths. The more you meditate on them as you go about your day, the more you will grow in your knowledge of the Holy Spirit. The more you grow in the knowledge of Him, the more His power will manifest in your life.
I believe 2020 is going to give birth to some of the greatest victories believers have ever known because of all we are learning about and unlocking through the power of the precious gift of the Holy Spirit. This is going to be your best year yet!
You're beautiful. I see Jesus in you.
Have a great week.
Mikel French has challenged spiritual awakening all across America, where many celebrations extended into multiple weeks, and has conducted celebrations in France, Sweden, Russia, Romania, Poland, Ukraine, Moldova, Serbia, Germany, South Africa, Malawi, the Philippines, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Haiti, Japan, Singapore, India and Thailand. He conducted an outreach celebration in Manila, Philippines, reaching 200,000 teenagers with the book of hope. Through the generous support of partners, he has presented the message of Jesus Christ to millions of people in the nation of Russia through televised citywide soul-winning celebrations. Mikel considers it an honor to assist in conducting the annual pastor's conference, where thousands of pastors from Russia's 11 time zones come for training, teaching and equipping. Mikel and his wife, Marsha, reside in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details