It's a new day, a fresh season. The air here in Colorado is sweet after days of rain. The grass is green, and the crab apple tree in my backyard is filled with fluffy pink blossoms.
Imagine if I gave you the keys to a beautiful new car loaded with the latest gadgets—back-up cameras, Bluetooth, anti-collision tech and even a sunroof—though minus a tank of gas.
So, you accept my gift but think, I guess this car isn't meant to be driven, at least not anymore, right? Otherwise, it would start. But never mind that, it's a beautiful car, and I should be grateful. To prove it, the kids and I will come out to the garage from time to time, use the Bluetooth, open the sunroof and play our favorite tunes. And that will have to be enough.
And so, once a week, you religiously go and sit in your beautiful car. But you never go anywhere. Sometimes you dream of using the car as it was originally intended. You imagine driving to work, driving down the coast or maybe even taking a trip to see friends. But you know in your heart that if the manufacturer wanted you to actually drive the car, he would also have filled the tank.
Of course, the real you is too wise to fall for such a whopper. When your car needs fuel, you fill it up. It's a simple as that.
There are some Christians and churches who have never filled their tank with the power of God, His Holy Spirit. And some people and churches have never thought to refill their tank when it runs dry. That's exactly how I found the refreshing in my soul after a winter of pain. I called on God through the power of the Holy Spirit to help me to forgive those who so wronged my child and to heal my emotional pain. And if God, through the Holy Spirit, will do this for me, He will also do this for you.
If you need to refuel with the power of God, pray this simple prayer that South African pastor William Murray taught the young students of the Moody Bible Institute to pray in the late 1800s. Through this prayer, the young people were empowered to change their world for Christ. If you're ready to pray this prayer, simply pray, "More, Holy Spirit, more!"
Pray this often and pray it over your church as well. The power of God you've always dreamed about could be realized in your life and the lives of those you love.
Linda Evans Shepherd is a nationally known Christian speaker and a bestselling author of over 30 books. She's the president of Right to the Heart Ministries, founder of the Advanced Writers and Speakers Association (AWSA) and the founder of GodTest.com. Her latest book is When You Need to Move a Mountain.
This article originally appeared at gottopray.com.
For more about the work of the Holy Spirit, listen to the podcast included here:
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details