As the world obsesses over the power struggle for Venezuela's presidency, most Venezuelans are worried about something else: "Will my children eat today?"
That is what Isabella has been asking herself for months, and her story will break your heart.
Isabella's son recently died of starvation ... and now she is terrified she will lose her other two children if help doesn't arrive soon.
Isabella, whose name I've changed to protect her, was in tears as she told us about her 14-year-old son. In his final days, he was so skinny that his bones poked through his skin. She hates that she couldn't save him. And she hates that she feels just as powerless to feed her two daughters.
Like many other mothers in Venezuela, there's not much she can do to keep her children alive.
She and her husband used to have a thriving business producing school uniforms. They lived comfortably with all of their needs met. Then, the economy crashed. The price of food and other basic necessities doubled every few weeks.
They had to start selling their possessions just to make ends meet. First, they sold their company's machinery ... then their cars ... and eventually their house, so they could eat.
But it wasn't enough.
It's clear Isabella's daughters and many other children won't survive unless they receive food soon.
Emergency aid was blocked from entering the country in February, and tear gas was even fired into the crowd of families eagerly awaiting this aid. Many families were counting on that food, but they were soon back where they started—starving.
Since then, the Venezuelan government has agreed to allow some humanitarian aid into the country, but there is still a critical need for more.
Our organization, World Help, has partners working on the ground to provide food and other essentials. I'm not overstating it when I say that this food is literally helping save lives.
So as you watch the Venezuelan crisis unfolding on the news, I'm asking you to stop right now and do two things: pray for the people of Venezuela and give if you can to provide food and other lifesaving supplies to people like Isabella and her girls.
Vernon Brewer is the founder and CEO of World Help, a Christian humanitarian organization serving the physical and spiritual needs of people in impoverished communities around the world. Follow him @vernonbrewer.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer