Jesus taught us on several occasions and modeled to us the power of our words. As Christians we use words to create and call things forth in the positive, but do we realize the same power in our words activates the negative spirit realm.
What do we do when we have spoken something we shouldn't have? Does the demonic realm activate against our negative words or words that other people have spoken out against us? You bet! Death and life are in the power of the tongue (see Prov. 18:21), and that goes both ways.
Jesus rebuked the demon and rebuked the storm. Rebuke means to take authority over, and then He gave it a follow-up command.
"He rose and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, 'Peace, be still!' Then the wind ceased and there was a great calm" (Mark 4:39).
"Jesus rebuked him, saying, 'Be silent, and come out of him!' When the demon had thrown him down in their midst, he came out of him and did not hurt him" (Luke 4:35).
When Jesus rebuked in both cases, He gave a follow-up command. He was taking authority over the situation and speaking in the natural and spiritual what needed to happen.
When we speak out words, they create. We need to take authority over words we have created and rebuke them and then speak in the natural and spiritual realm what needs to happen.
How do we cancel the effects that have gone forth in the spiritual realm? Here is a list of words we can speak out into the atmosphere to cancel any spiritual warfare assignments sent to target against our words.
- Rebuke and renounce all words spoken against you, your family, business or loved ones. Speak out: "I rebuke and renounce all negative words spoken against me and that I have spoken against another person. I decree they will not go forth in the spiritual realm, and I cancel their negative assignment in Jesus' name."
- Break off all word-curse assignments. Speak aloud: "I cancel all word curses and attacks from the enemy in Jesus' name. I declare no weapon formed against me shall prosper."
- Cancel assignments of the enemy to steal, kill and destroy your life, health, family, business and finances. "The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly" (John 10:10). Declare out: "I have life and have it abundantly. Thank you, Jesus; I have abundance in every area of my life."
- Speak Isaiah 54:17a, "No weapon that is formed against you shall prosper, and every tongue that shall rise against you in judgment, you shall condemn."
- Bind the words of those who speak negativity over you. Bind their tongue, mouth, lips and voicebox from speaking negative words, gossip, slander and anything that does not edify, exhort or build up. Say "Lord, I bind my friends' and family's words and mouths from speaking negative things in the spiritual realm about me, in Jesus' name."
- Follow the scriptural example to bind and loose in Matthew 18:18, "Truly I say to you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."
- Ask the Holy Spirit to convict them and expose them. Pray, "Holy Spirit, convict them, reveal to them the wrong words they speak."
- Repent of any ungodly words you have spoken. Make sure you don't have an open door to the enemy. Shut all demonic doors by asking Christ for forgiveness and forgiving yourself.
- Keep your tongue from evil (see 1 Pet. 3:10-11). Do your best to put a guard around your tongue, heart and mind.
- Live out the biblical mandate of 1 Peter 3:10-11: "For he who would love life and see good days, let him keep his tongue from evil, and his lips from speaking deceit. Let him turn away from evil and do good; let him seek peace and pursue it."
- Speak and decree out, "Psalm 91:10, "There shall be no evil befall you, neither shall any plague come near your tent."
Living out these simple principles, making sure our tongue is speaking out the positive and rebuking and demolishing any attacks in the spiritual realm will help us to live out in victory and minimize spiritual disruptions to our destiny as a result of our words and words that were spoken out against us. Learn more about the power of your words in my book, Speak Out (Creation House).
Kathy DeGraw is a prophetic spiritual warfare strategist releasing the love and power of God, to ignite and activate people, release prophetic destinies and deliver people from the bondage of the enemy. She is the founder of Kathy DeGraw Ministries and Be Love Outreach. She is the author of several books, including Speak Out, Discerning and Destroying the Works of Satan, Identity Invasion, Who is Speaking? and Warfare Declarations. You can connect with Kathy on Facebook facebook.com/kathydegraw or visit degrawministries.org.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Great Resources to help you excel in 2019! #1 John Eckhardt's "Prayers That..." 6-Book Bundle. Prayer helps you overcome anything life throws at you. Get a FREE Bonus with this bundle. #2 Learn to walk in the fullness of your purpose and destiny by living each day with Holy Spirit. Buy a set of Life in the Spirit, get a second set FREE.