The great deceiver is always on the hunt, ready to pounce when he spots confusion or hesitancy.
But what exactly is he looking for? How does he decide who to manipulate and the way to do it?
One concerned reader asked Billy Graham: "What is the devil's most successful trick? In other words, out of all the schemes he uses to try to lead us astray, which one works best? I'd like to know so I can be on guard."
The wise evangelist responded:
I'm thankful you want to be on guard against the devil's schemes—because the devil is real, and he will do everything he can to deceive us and turn us away from God. The Bible urges us to be alert to the devil's schemes, "in order that Satan might not outwit us" (2 Cor. 2:11, NIV).
The devil has many tricks up his sleeve (so to speak)—but surely one of his most successful is to make us believe he doesn't even exist. We may admit that evil is real—but then deny that behind it are demonic spiritual forces bent on our destruction and death. Or we may deny the devil's true nature by turning him into a harmless cartoon character with a red suit and pitchfork. But Jesus said, "He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him (John 8:44b, MEV).
Someone has said that the devil doesn't need to think up any new tricks—because the old ones still work! It's true: lust, pride, power, discouragement, doubt, money, escapism, pleasure, hate, anger, jealousy, selfishness—the ways he attacks us are almost endless. If one temptation doesn't work, he'll try another—and he'll keep on trying.
But listen: The most important fact about Satan is that he is a defeated foe! By His death and resurrection, Jesus Christ conquered death and hell and Satan—and someday His victory will be complete. In the meantime, make sure of your commitment to Christ, and turn to Him every day for the strength you need.
So be on guard always and aware that Satan and his minions are just as alert. But do not fear, for victory is in the Lord.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details