Are you having difficulty meeting your life goals? Bishop T.D. Jakes says while spiritual, family and work responsibilities are important, many of us burn out as we try to fulfill these duties.
Citing a recent poll stating most people report feeling tired most of the time due to sleep deprivation and lack of self-care, Jakes encourages readers on his website to "Let Go of the Struggle" and reclaim their spiritual, physical and mental health in 3 ways.
T.D. Jakes' Health Tips:
1. Add more fun to your days. Anything from reconnecting with music to uplifting reading to spending time with friends adds joy to your life. Find the joy—daily!
2. Care for yourself. Quality food, exercise in any form and remembering to breathe deeply will all keep you healthy. We often cannot find the time to care for ourselves, but nothing is of greater importance.
3. Let love in: Give love and receive love! When we are wrapped in love, whether from ourselves or our friends and family, we are better able to meet life's demands.
Medical researchers tell us the more they learn about the body mechanics of stress, the more they realize how deadly it is. Throughout the Bible, we are told not to worry. Now modern doctors tell us the same thing.
De-Stress with Gratitude
One of the best ways to reduce stress is to concentrate on what's going right in your life. Dr. David J. Jennings, Jr., assistant director of the Psychological Services Center and assistant professor at Regent University, said scientific research definitively links a persistent sense of gratitude with good physical health.
"Studies have shown that people with a more grateful disposition actually engage in more exercise. They eat better, they take care of themselves better by getting regular physical examinations," he said.
"It's also been shown to be helpful to people who are actually having some kind of physical ailment, actually reduce negative health symptoms and increase sleep," he continued.
Developing a grateful heart takes practice. In her book, Choosing Gratitude Nancy Leigh DeMoss Wolgemuth says gratitude starts by confessing to God, "You don't owe me anything good."
"'All I deserved was hell and you've given me so much more. You've given me heaven and eternal life and Christ Jesus and your Holy Spirit,'" she continued. "'Oh Lord, if you never gave me anything else good in this life than having saved me eternally from sin, I am one blessed woman and I will spend eternity giving you thanks.'"
Let Go of Grudges
Unforgiveness leads to chronic anxiety, according to Dr. Michael Barry, a pastor and author of the book, The Forgiveness Project.
"Chronic anxiety very predictably produces excess adrenaline and cortisol, which deplete the production of natural killer cells which is your body's foot soldier in the fight against cancer," he said.
Barry's research on cancer patients revealed about 61 percent had trouble forgiving. More than half had a severe problem.
Barry encourages people holding on to grudges to read Matthew 18. He also says forgiveness does not mean you condone the bad behavior, but rather let go of it.
Copyright The Christian Broadcasting Network, Inc., All rights reserved.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details