"Donald Trump says 'Merry Christmas,' Obama wishes 'happy holidays.'"
That headline in The Washington Times from late last week has a much deeper meaning than December greetings, says Southern Evangelical Seminary (SES) President and evangelical leader Dr. Richard Land.
"The whole tone has shifted in this country since Nov. 8," Land remarked. "In fact, just a few days after the election, I had several people say to me, 'Merry Christmas! Wow, it's OK to say that now! That is an anecdote that speaks to a larger truth, that President-elect Trump's win has dealt a serious blow to the totalitarian instincts, political correctness, progressivism and the extreme prejudice that is championed by that political correctness."
The Times reported that although President-elect Donald Trump has been declaring "Merry Christmas" while on "Thank You Tour" stops in Michigan and Wisconsin, the Obama family's 2016 Christmas card omits the word "Christmas"—for the eighth consecutive year—in favor of a more inclusive holiday greeting.
"Our President-elect Trump will foster a federal government that is much more friendly to traditional beliefs about Christianity in the public square," Land said. "People are grateful for that, and they feel it—that the federal government will no longer be working as a public censor, and Americans are enjoying their newfound rights to communicate their true beliefs about Christmas. Mr. Trump has said we're free to say 'Merry Christmas' again. And so this is, broadly speaking, a win for cultural conservatism, which in America is intertwined with orthodox, traditional Christianity over progressivism and multi-culturalism. In America, of course, winning does make a real difference.
"In light of this, on behalf of SES," Land concluded, "I want to wish everyone a joyous Christmas and a happy New Year."
SES recently shared its annual video series, "The Twelve Days of Apologetics," which consists of a dozen interesting and enlightening online Christmas-themed videos from SES professors, deans and students, including Land.
Land added that the videos make great devotionals for individuals and for families. Video topics include "The Existence of God," "Messianic Prophecies," "The Virgin Birth," "Myth Copying," "The Magi," "Christmas and Its Pagan Roots," "Was Jesus Born in a Stable?" and "Why Did Jesus Have to Come?" To view all 12 videos online, click here.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details