"If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness" (1 John 1:9).
God's standards never change. Premarital sex is unacceptable. It always has been. It always will be.
Living together without getting married is unacceptable to God. It always has been. It always will be.
Adultery, being unfaithful in your marriage, is unacceptable to God. It always has been. It always will be.
Pornography is unacceptable to God. It always has been. It always will be.
But if you've been guilty of one of those sins, that's not the end of your story. God gives you a chance to come clean and start over.
How do you do that?
1. Repent. Repent means "to change your mind." You say, "You were right, God. I was wrong. What I did was sin." You don't rationalize your sin or excuse it. The most important part is, you do this now. If you're currently in the middle of an affair, end it today.
2. Receive forgiveness. God is waiting to forgive, cleanse and restore you. He'll release you from the shame, regrets, the hidden hurts and the pain that come from your sin so you don't carry them into your next relationship. God wants to wipe the slate clean. The good news is, once he's forgiven you, you can forgive yourself.
3. Refocus and replace. You make a commitment to live morally pure by God's standard from this day forward. That means having sex only with the person to whom you're married.
4. Request help daily. Commit your life to Christ (if you haven't already). Ask him to help you manage your sex drive.
Your sex drive can destroy you if you let it. Don't let it. You have a choice.
Talk It Over
- If there is a sexual sin from your past that you haven't repented of, walk through the steps above so that your fresh start can begin today.
- How does our culture try to convince you that truth changes?
- Why is it important not to carry shame or regret into your next relationship?
Rick Warren is the founding pastor of Saddleback Church. His book, The Purpose Driven Church, was named one of the 100 Christian books that changed the 20th century. He is also founder of Pastors.com, a global Internet community for pastors.
For the original article, visit rickwarren.org.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details