Q: Why do some people seem to enjoy criticizing their pastor? I'm in a civic organization with a couple of friends from another church, and it seems like all they talk about is their pastor's shortcomings. Should I say something to them about this?
A: No pastor is perfect, of course—but if God has called someone to be a pastor and has sent them to serve a particular church, then they should be helped and encouraged in every way possible. The Bible says, "Who can lay a hand on the Lord's anointed and be guiltless?" (1 Samuel 26:9, NIV).
Does this mean pastors should always be above criticism—even if they neglect their responsibilities or otherwise are at fault? No, it doesn't—but most churches have ways of dealing with such matters through their ruling board or denominational structure. Paul reminded the Christians in Corinth that "everything should be done in a fitting and orderly way" (1 Corinthians 14:40).
Sadly, I have known of church members who seem to enjoy criticizing their pastor—and sometimes they keep doing it pastor after pastor. I've never known why; perhaps they do it to just to get attention. But whatever their reason, it is wrong, and it is a sin in the eyes of God. Not only does it cause dissension in the church, but it means their heart and mind are closed to the teaching of God's Word.
Pray for an opportunity to speak with your friends about their attitude, urging them not only to avoid criticizing their pastor but to do all they can to support and help this individual. Especially encourage them to pray for their pastor. Pray too for your own church and its pastoral staff, that they truly may "Be shepherds of God's flock ... eager to serve" (1 Peter 5:2).
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details