1. Throughout history, marriage has been between a man and a woman. "Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh" (Gen. 2:24). Even if one does not believe the Bible is the inspired Word of God, this verse makes it clear that the tradition of marriage between a man and a woman goes back thousands of years.
2. Homosexual marriage is on the wrong side of nature. Homosexual relations are unnatural. This is confirmed by biology, physiology and religion. Frank Turek says, "Support of natural marriage is not bigotry; it's biology." Reproduction requires a man and a woman.
3. Homosexuality is against the Bible. The Bible specifically condemns homosexuality behavior seven times (Gen. 19:1-11; Lev. 18:22; Lev. 20:13; Judg. 19:22-25; Rom. 1:25-27; 1 Cor. 6:9-10; 1 Tim. 1:9-10). Male prostitution is addressed a further five times. (Deut. 23:17; 1 Kin. 14:24; 1 Kin. 15:12; 1 Kin. 22:46; 2 Kin. 23:7).
The Supreme Court of the United States cannot overrule the opinion of the Supreme Being of the Universe. God made Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve. God made Mom and Dad, not Bill and Todd.
Proponents of homosexuality often point out that Jesus never said anything against homosexuality. Although Jesus never specifically condemned homosexual behavior, he did affirm that marriage is between a man and a woman in Matthew 19:4-5: "He said to them, "Have you not read that He who made them at the beginning 'made them male and female,' and said, 'For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh?'" Jesus is "the Word" (John 1:1) and the Word is Jesus. When the Bible speaks about homosexuality in Leviticus or in Romans, it is speaking in the voice of Jesus.
The Bible clearly teaches that homosexuality is a sin. However, it is no worse then any other sin. Adultery, stealing and lying produce eternal death just as sure as homosexuality does. When Jesus died on the cross, he paid the price for every sin, including homosexuality. He died so that homosexuals can be set free from their sins. Homosexuality is no harder for God to forgive then any other sin.
4. Two fathers (or two mothers) is not the best way for kids to be raised. Children need both a father and a mother. There is a difference between men and woman. Children need both the nest-making comfort of a mother and the sports-loving, battle-fighting strength of a father. When one side of the equation is missing, children can turn out broken. When parents divorce, children pay a price. When homosexuals raise children, the children potentially pay a high price.
5. Homosexuality is gross. There is nothing "loving" about the physical relationship between two men.
6. Homosexuality spreads disease. AIDS and other STDs have a much higher rate in the homosexual community then they do among monogamous heterosexual relationships.
7. Homosexual marriage is against the will of the people. In 32 states voters have been opposed. The United States of America is a democratic republic. In the majority of cases where homosexual marriage has been on the ballot, it has been soundly rejected by a high percentage of the voting public. Most of the strides forward in gay rights have been made in a dictatorial fashion by liberal courts. Five out of 9 judges on the Supreme Court of the United States should not have the power to overcome the votes of millions of citizens.
8. Allowing homosexual marriage will damage the institution of marriage. Divorce rates are at an all-time high and adultery is pervasive. A permissive redefining of the sacrament of marriage to include homosexual marriage may be the straw that breaks the camel's back. Marriage, which traditionally contributes so much to the stability of society, is under assault. By allowing homosexuals to marry, our society loses some of the spiritual glue that holds marriage together. Allowing homosexual marriage becomes a slippery slope toward allowing polygamy, bestiality and even pedophilia.
9. Homosexual marriage is immoral. Liberals may say, "You can't legislate morality," but the truth is that all laws impose morality. If society thinks stealing or murder is wrong, they impose that moral judgment through laws. All laws legislate morality, it is just a matter of whose morality is being legislated.
10. Evolution says the homosexual gene is an inferior gene. Since the homosexual cannot reproduce, the gene would eventually disappear. As a Christian, I do not actually believe in macroevolution, but since many unbelievers do, this is a legitimate argument. The Theory of Evolution says that genes that are beneficial to a race get passed on to future generations and that harmful genes die out. If evolution is true, in 10,000 years there will be no more homosexuals.
Homosexuals do not reproduce, they recruit. Even though it has become popular recently to explain that homosexuality has physical or biological causes, this is wrong. Homosexuals are not born, they are created. Homosexual behavior is the result of choice, not genetic chance. The behavior of a homosexual is a learned behavior.
There is a trend in society to excuse one's actions by blaming them on one's genetic makeup. Even if it can be scientifically proved that someone is more inclined to drink alcohol or to be violent, this still does not excuse one's behavior. Even if there is a genetic reason in a homosexual's DNA for his or her attraction to members of the same sex, there is still no excuse to engage in behavior that is wrong.
11. Homosexuality, if adopted by all, would cause the eradication of the human race. Immanuel Kant formulated the "principle of universalizability" based on his categorical imperative. Any moral rule should be able to be applied universally. If homosexuality is adopted by all, then no more children would be born and society would disappear.
12. Nondiscrimination laws will force religious organizations to hire people who are completely against their belief system. Allowing homosexual marriage will actually take away rights from the church to practice what church members believe. There have already been several cases where Christian wedding photographers and cake makers have been sued for discrimination when they simply want to follow their religious beliefs.
13. Homosexual relationships are not based on love, but on lust. Despite the sympathetic portrayal of homosexual relationships by humorous television shows like "Will & Grace" and "Modern Family," the real image is far from that.
14. Homosexual marriage will be expensive for companies and the government because they will have to pay benefits for homosexual couples. I oppose homosexual marriage on monetary grounds as well as spiritual grounds. Generally speaking, I think the government should be looking for ways to decrease spending, not to increase spending by extending rights to new interest groups.
Daniel King (kingministries.com) is a missionary evangelist who has preached the gospel in over 60 nations. He has led over 1 million people to Jesus in the past 10 years. Daniel and his wife, Jessica, live in Tulsa, Oklahoma. His newest book is Grace Wins: the Ultimate Battle Between Religion and Relationship.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Great Resources to help you excel in 2019! #1 John Eckhardt's "Prayers That..." 6-Book Bundle. Prayer helps you overcome anything life throws at you. Get a FREE Bonus with this bundle. #2 Learn to walk in the fullness of your purpose and destiny by living each day with Holy Spirit. Buy a set of Life in the Spirit, get a second set FREE.