Times have changed. And no politician or political party can save us.
That's what Franklin Graham told an Oklahoma City crowd Monday night at the Oklahoma State Evangelism Conference.
Talking about the forces of secular humanism that have taken root in the United States, Franklin Graham called on Christ followers to take an active interest in politics—from local school board races to Washington.
"Now I'm not talking about Baptists or Republicans and the Tea Party," he said. "I have no confidence that any of these politicians or any party is going to turn this country around. The only hope for this country is for men and women of God to stand up and take a stand."
"Well, you say, 'Now Franklin, your father wouldn't get onto these subjects,'" Franklin Graham said, addressing the need to stand up to secularism.
"Wait a second. My father, when he was going to school, they had a Bible in school," he continued. "When he was going to school, they had the Ten Commandments on the wall. When he was going to school, you could pray in school, and the teachers would lead in those prayers.
"Our country has changed. And we've got to take a stand."
Talking about growing up in the '50s and '60s under the Red Threat, Franklin Graham recalled that communism was seen as the ultimate enemy of freedom.
"When the Berlin Wall came down, everybody said we won," he said. "And secularism came. And secularism and communism are the same thing. They're godless. They're anti Christ."
The message was strong and challenging. But a thread of hope ran through it, from start to finish.
"There is only one who can save," Franklin Graham said. "Only one. Jesus Christ."
Pulling from Matthew 8, where Jesus calmed the storm that had his disciples fearing for their lives, Franklin reminded the crowd that we aren't very different from the people who were with Jesus 2,000 years ago.
"There are storms that are coming," he said. "And we find ourselves in these storms, and many times we as a church, we run and we run to the wrong place.
"You see, Jesus is in the boat. All we have to do is call Him, call on His name."
Sometimes that will mean facing ridicule from a secular world, Franklin Graham continued. But the people of God have to stay strong.
"The secularists and the humanists, you mention the name of Christ, they jump all over you," he said. "I get jumped on all the time. I don't care. I really don't.
"I gave my life to Christ. He died for me; He shed his blood for me. I'm not going to back up, and I'm not going to run."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details