Cory was just a small toddler when I started praying for his future spouse. It wasn't something I prayed for every day ... or even every week. But I prayed when God stirred my heart. I prayed when I struggled in my own marriage. I prayed when my marriage grew stronger and full of joy. And I honestly believe my prayers made a difference. Prayer always does.
I adore my daughter-in-law, Katie. She and Cory have been married more than 4 years and have two beautiful babies. She's thoughtful, caring, fun and godly. Most of all she adores my son. (What more can a mother desire?)
"O my God, incline Your ear and hear. Open Your eyes ... for we do not present our supplications before You for our righteousness, but for Your great mercies" (Dan. 9:18).
So what things do you pray for? These are things we encourage young women to pray for in our book Praying for Your Future Husband ... and you can pray these very things for your child's future spouse!
What to Pray For
- Pray for his/her heart
- Pray he/she will be a God-lover
- Pray for patience
- Pray for understanding
- Pray for trust
- Pray for loyalty and faithfulness
- Pray for strength
- Pray for protection
- Pray for intimacy
- Pray for "the list" (God's list for your child!)
- Pray for contentment
- Pray for commitment
You can pray for all of these things for your children's future spouses, and don't forget to pray the same things for your children too. I have one child who is married and one who is engaged, and I'm continuing to pray all these things for the four other children still unmarried. And since my youngest is 4 years old, I'll be praying for quite a while!
Prayer makes a difference. And make sure you let your child know that you're praying too. Help them to form their own prayers, even at a young age. It'll help them to prepare their heart for the person to come.
What things do you pray for concerning your children's future spouse?
Tricia Goyer has written more than 35 books, including two novels that delight and entertain readers and nonfiction titles that offer encouragement and hope. She has also published more than 500 articles in national publications such as Guideposts, Thriving Family, Proverbs 31, and HomeLife Magazine.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details