Drinking is intertwined in our culture with almost every event in life, whether it’s a wedding or a funeral. But it’s hardly new.
The Bible records several stories and suggestions about alcohol. Heck, even Jesus turned water into wine, so surely there’s a place for alcohol in society, right? (I bet that tasted good.)
For many of us it’s a welcomed ritual with benefits. The soothing chill slips by your lips, rolling down into your stomach and releasing its relaxing presence. Drinking alcohol is pleasurable at the moment, lifting spirits and lowering defenses. Sipping champagne is synonymous with celebration, while beer may be synonymous with sports, wine with romance, and vodka martinis—shaken, not stirred—synonymous with James Bond-like cool. It’s part of our culture at most every level.
If we believe the advertisers, alcohol is all pleasure but no pain—a fun roller-coaster ride that provides thrills but never comes off the rails, right? Wrong. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) estimates 88,000 deaths are attributed to excessive alcohol use each year, with 1.2 million emergency room and 2.7 million physician office visits.
The economic costs associated with overdrinking were estimated to be $225.5 billion. Most men know of an alcoholic, were raised by an alcoholic or have been affected by alcohol. We may even be aware of the short- and long-term risks of drinking, like driving dangers, sexual behavior, violence, pregnancy problems, poisoning, neurological changes, psychiatric issues, liver disease and cancer, to name a few.
But you might be surprised that God is not a buzzkill. The Bible never says, “Thou shalt not drink.” But God is very concerned about your character, and drinking can be a way God tests it. So, the real question is: When is drinking OK? Here are a few guidelines:
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details