Today's world seems to thrive on controversy. Flack, feuds and fighting have made their way into the church world as well. Charismatics and evangelicals can claim no immunity, with disruptive disputes over such issues as speaking in tongues and other more controversial manifestations of the Spirit. Are they real? Are they biblical? Should we practice them?
Dr. Paul King says he has the key to the type of discernment we need to resolve this type of conflict and others: looking first at our own hearts. "Is this something that's coming from ourselves, or is it really coming from God?" he ask Dr. Steve Greene and listeners on a recent episode of the Greenelines podcast on the Charisma Podcast Network. King, a former pastor and longtime professor at Oral Roberts University, has a new book on this topic, Is It of God?? (Bridge-Logos).
"And along with that, it's important that we not make this as though we have a hotline to heaven—'It's just me and God, 'I got this from God,'" King says. Connecting with the body of Christ and the Word of God offers another key to spiritual discernment.
It's only in the community as we also received discernment from one another," he says. "And we check it out with someone else: 'I got this revelation; I got this insight. Does this sound like the Word of God?'"
"I like to say that there is more that is genuinely of God than most non-charismatics are willing to acknowledge," he says. "And there is more that is not genuinely of God than most charismatics are willing to acknowledge. So it's finding the balance in between, and it's having an open mind toward the Spirit.
"The Scripture tells us to be a Berean, to examine the Scriptures closely," he adds. "And that doesn't mean to have a closed mind. But it means to be examining closely with an open mind, letting the Holy Spirit guide us. And so there are two ditches we can go off into, and one is to be 'charismaniacs' and going too crazy with charismatic things. And the other ditch is to be 'charis-phobics,' and to be afraid.
"If we are afraid of the charismatic, then that fear comes from the devil himself; God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind," King says.
For much more from Dr. Paul King on discernment in the things of the Spirit as well as in other areas of life, listen to the entire episode of Greenelines at this link, and check out his book, Is It of God?, wherever fine books are sold. Subscribe to the Greenelines podcast on your favorite podcast platform for more inspiring stories like this one.
Read articles like this one and other Spirit-led content in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details