In Joseph Materra's book, The Jesus Principles, he asks seven questions to help readers determine if their walk with God is fully directed or set adrift. Because I feel the book makes a powerful impact on living and working in the presence of the Lord, I felt it important to review Materra's questions in serial format for readers and podcast listeners of Greenelines. This is part two in the series. For part one, click here.
I submitted a theme in an English Composition class one day in which I described watching a house burn down. I received a Pavlovian reward in the form of an A, but a question my teacher posed disturbed me:
"Does a house burn up or burn down?"
That question burned me up for years. I certainly never wrote the phrase again until now. But the word-choice challenge did prepare me to consider other similar quandaries: write down or write up, beat up or beat down, tear up or tear down?
Mattera posed a second question about drifting through life in his book Jesus Principles: "Are you suffering burnout?"
The Mayo Clinic describes burnout with a non-medical description: "Job burnout is a special type of work-related stress—a state of physical or emotional exhaustion that also involves a sense of reduced accomplishment and loss of personal identity." The clinic offers the following list to consider:
— Have you become cynical or critical at work?
— Do you drag yourself to work and have trouble getting started?
— Have you become irritable or impatient with co-workers, customers or clients?
— Do you lack the energy to be consistently productive?
— Do you find it hard to concentrate?
— Do you lack satisfaction from your achievements?
— Do you feel disillusioned about your job?
Prayerfully consider these questions, and check back here tomorrow for more help in keeping the Spirit burning—in life and in work. Click here to purchase Joseph Mattera's book The Jesus Principles, on sale now for 50% off.
Read articles like this one and other Spirit-led content in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.
Dr. Steve Greene is the publisher and executive vice president—Media Group, Charisma Media. Sign up here for Dr. Greene's newsletters.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details