MercyMe's inhale (exhale) may be the band's most collaborative work yet, featuring disco queen Gloria Gaynor on "Brand New" and Rascal Flatts lead vocalist Gary LeVox on "A Little Love" along with other out-of-band writers. But there's no question which collaborative effort has most captured the heart of lead singer Bart Millard: "On Our Way," co-written by his son Sam Wesley, 19, who also sings on this track (watch the official lyric video for "On the Way" here).
"We've got a few cool features on the album, but that one really means the most to me," Millard tells host Dr. Steve Greene on a popular episode of the Greenelines podcast on the Charisma Podcast Network. He also shares the story of how the song came about—including the awkward dad moment that helped put the song on the album.
"My son was writing with some friends of his ... they actually got some publisher that was out there looking for songs for American Idol where they pay a couple hundred dollars, flat rate and no royalties or anything; it feels like a little bit of a scam," Millard says. "But they heard about the opportunity; they wanted to try to do it.
"And he played me the chorus, and I said, 'Buddy, this is really good. I don't know if you should be giving this to the publisher," Millard explains. "You should hold onto it for another opportunity."
"And so I was playing it for the band and the label, just bragging on my son, and the label said, 'Man, you should consider this for the album. It's really good,'" he says.
And then came the awkward dad moment, Millard says. He had to go back to his son and tell him, "Hey, Daddy likes your song; now Daddy wants your song."
"So we ended up recording it, and Sam just kind of sang the back half of the demo because I was sick that day," Millard says. "He wasn't meant to sing on it, but everyone said, 'Man, we should leave him on there.' It was a huge proud moment for me for sure."
For more stories behind the songs on MercyMe's new hit album, inhale (exhale), listen to the entire episode of Greenelines here, and be sure to subscribe to Greenelines on your favorite podcast platform for more inspiring stories like this one. Find inhale (exhale) wherever fine music is sold.
Read articles like this one and other Spirit-led content in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details