A pastor, charged by God to "keep your lighthouse open" despite COVID-19 restrictions.
A sheriff, charged by his oath of office to enforce the law.
A recipe for conflict? In many cases, yes. But as Pastor Caleb Cooper tells host Dr. Steve Greene on a recent episode of the Greenelines podcast on the Charisma Podcast Network, this situation catapulted him into a strong relationship with his local sheriff—and later propelled him into the writing of a new book, The Call for Strong Godly Leadership: A Compilation of Leaders from the Church, Marketplace and Law Enforcement.
"We received a voicemail on the phone, and it clearly said that the church is nonessential and must be shut down," recalls Cooper, pastor of New Hope Revival Church in Truth or Consequences, New Mexico. "From that moment, I went straight to the sheriff's office, knowing that the sheriff is really the last line of defense concerning our constitutional rights.
"I sat down and I said, 'Sheriff Glenn Hamilton, I've watched you fight for the Second Amendment, you and 29 sheriffs in the state,'" Cooper says. "You fought for gun rights; I want to know if you'll fight for God rights.
"And he looked me right in the eye; he said, 'Pastor, I will defend your rights to have church, even if that means I have to go to jail,'" Cooper says.
That began a continuing relationship between Cooper and Hamilton that included Hamilton deputizing members of Cooper's congregation and helping him stand up against New Mexico Gov. Michelle Grisham for the church's right to worship. More recently, it has included Cooper choosing to include chapters from law enforcement officials, including Hamilton, in his new book.
"Give those in blue a voice," Cooper says the Holy Spirit told him as he set out to write the book.
His hope, he says, is to "build or rebuild the relationship between the church and law enforcement today," and he has already gotten the book, with its many contributions from law enforcement officers, into the hands of a number of law enforcement officials. "They're also going to hear godly leadership," Cooper says. And so the hope is we'll build a bridge between the church and law enforcement; we'll labor together."
For much more from Pastor Caleb Cooper on the church, law enforcement and the bond the two share under God, listen to this entire episode of Greenelines, and be sure to subscribe to the Greenelines podcast on your favorite podcast platform. Check out Cooper's new book, The Call for Strong Godly Leadership, wherever fine books are sold, and listen to his podcast, Uncompromised Revival Fire, also on the Charisma Podcast Network.
Read articles like this one and other Spirit-led content in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details