A 20-year-old granddaughter who died unexpectedly in her sleep.
The multiple losses and hardships of COVID-19.
The many other circumstances and situations that come to our lives that seem impossible to understand.
What all these things have in common, author and leadership expert Tim Dunn says, is the fact that we can't control them. After the sudden loss of his granddaughter Mariah, he tells Dr. Steve Greene on a recent episode of the Greenelines podcast on the Charisma Podcast Network, God gave him an insight he now shares with others in his Yellow Balloons book, devotionals and podcast: "We really only control three things in life, we control who we trust, what we do and how we look at things, the perspective we choose."
"Many of us really spend a lot of time and attention trying to control things we can't control like other people or circumstances or the future or the past," Dunn says. "And we don't have any control of those things. And so we waste effort and increase frustration, maybe even create depression. And in doing so, we neglect the three things that we do control."
Joey Willis, who serves as trainer with Dunn's servant leadership group The Crossroad, also writes the Yellow Balloons devotionals. He says they "focus on the three things you can control and letting go of all of the things that you're trying to control that you can't. And so that perspective just helps to align people with the truth and with reality, which invites them to take ownership of what they can control and let go of the rest. So the devotionals are just kind of a daily reminder of that—a daily reminder that you're not dependent on your circumstances."
Willis adds that the Bible "is inviting us into a life of faith, a life of trust, a life of love, that isn't driven by what happens to us, but is driven by the core of who God is and who He created us to be."
For more from both Dunn and Willis on intentionally living into the three things you can control, listen to this entire episode of Greenelines here and subscribe to the Greenelines podcast on your favorite podcast platform. Find the Yellow Balloons book as a free download at this link, and be sure to check out the Yellow Balloons podcast, also on the Charisma Podcast Network.
Read articles like this one and other Spirit-led content in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details