Breast cancer and a subsequent double mastectomy.
The loss of a corporate job and a six-figure income.
A pandemic that forced her into homeschooling.
A painful marital separation.
Most people hit by even one of these problems would feel justified in holding a pity party—or at least complaining to God. But Tonya Walker tells Dr. Steve Greene on a recent episode of the Greenelines podcast that the title of her new book, It Was Good for Me to Be Afflicted, encapsulates her journey. The title of the devotional commentary comes from Psalm 119:71, but it also comes from her life.
"Because I was afflicted, it gave me an opportunity to know God in a more profound way—beyond church experiences, beyond religion, beyond what I've read about," she says. "A lot of us say that we want to know Him, and it sounds good. But the truth of the matter is we can never really know Him beyond what we experience, beyond what is revealed to us. And so I had a moment in my life—and I'm still having this moment—where the Word became flesh to me."
Her experience with cancer and the fear of having to leave her child taught her about Jehovah Rapha, the Lord our Healer, Walker says. The experience of losing her job and income as well as having to become a stay-at-home mom taught her to trust in Jehovah Jireh, the Lord our Provider. And the experience of marital problems taught her that God would love her as Christ loves His bride, the church.
"The things that He felt I needed, those things remained," she says. "And so I came out of all of these things saying, 'Yes, it was good; it was good; it was good for me to be afflicted."
For more from Tonya Walker about how the Lord sustained her in her times of trial—and how He can sustain you too—listen to the entire episode of Greenelines on the Charisma Podcast Network. Subscribe to Greenelines on your favorite podcast platform, and be sure to check out Walker's book, It Was Good for Me to Be Afflicted, wherever fine books are sold.
Read articles like this one and other Spirit-led content in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details