"If you don't lose weight and keep it off, you'll be dead in five years."
Those brutal words from a cardiac surgeon served as a defining moment for Teresa Shields Parker, who, at the time weighed 430 pounds. But her solution in the natural—starting yet one more diet—provided only a temporary fix, she tells Dr. Steve Greene on a recent episode of the Greenelines podcast. It took what she calls a "come to Jesus moment" for her to experience lasting change. Today, she's lost more than 250 pounds and has kept it off since 2013.
That moment came, she says, during a meeting where she wasn't even paying attention to the speaker, an alcoholic. "I was halfway listening to it, because alcohol has never been my problem," she says. "But in the middle of his story, he said, 'Alcohol is one molecule away from sugar. Alcohol is liquid sugar.'"
"And that was my come to Jesus moment," Parker says. "That opened my eyes, and everything fell into place." She asked a few more questions and, because this happened before anyone talked about food addiction, asked the speaker point-blank: "Can you be a sugar addict?"
"I don't know the physical nature of it," he told her. "But you can be addicted to anything that controls you."
"I knew sugar controlled me," Parker says. Many years earlier, the Lord had told her to stop eating sugar, but she resisted, sure she could come up with her own weight-loss plan. As she learned more about the spiritual aspects of her sugar addiction, she recognized sugar as a spiritual stronghold. And that's when God took the barriers down.
To hear more from Teresa Shields Parker about how God broke the stronghold of sugar addiction in her life, listen to the entire episode of the Greenelines podcast here, and subscribe to the Greenelines podcast on your favorite podcast platform for more inspiring stories like this one. Check out Parker's most recent book, Sweet Surrender, at this link, and be sure to check out her own podcast, Sweet Grace for Your Journey, also on the Charisma Podcast Network.
Follow breaking news like this and more in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details