It seemed like a normal conversation between a husband and wife. The Rev. Anthony Thompson's wife, Myra, was leading her first Bible study at Emanuel AME Church in Charleston, South Carolina, and he planned to attend.
"We're more than just the Bobbsey twins," Anthony, pastor of a neighboring church, Holy Trinity Reformed Episcopal, tells Dr. Steve Greene on a popular episode of Greenelines on the Charisma Podcast Network. "Where you see me, you see her. And we're doing the same things, trying to encourage [each other] in whatever we're doing."
For some reason, though, as the couple discussed their day, Myra told her husband, "I don't want you to come," Anthony says. "And we went back and forth like maybe 10 minutes with this, 'I'm coming,' and she says, 'I don't want you to be there.'
"And a wife knows what button to push for a husband to act the way she wants him to act," Anthony adds. "She said to me, 'Well, you're having your first night of Vacation Bible School for the young people. You need to be there.' ... She convinced me to go. But I still had intentions of leaving there and going to her Bible study," he says. But his parishioners needed his help that night, he says, and so as his wife had requested, he stayed.
On that night, June 17, 2015, Myra's encouragement to her husband proved to be a lifesaving prophetic word. White supremacist Dylann Roof, 21, entered Emmanuel AME, attended her Bible study and ultimately took nine precious lives, including Myra's.
Anthony made it to the church that night, but only after he received a call informing him of the tragedy. Soon after he arrived, a friend informed him that his wife had not survived.
That began a spiritual journey of grief and forgiveness that he details in his book, Called to Forgive, including his public offer of forgiveness to Roof during his bond hearing.
To hear more of Anthony's compelling story, listen to the entire episode of Greenelines here, and be sure to subscribe to Greenelines on your favorite platform for more inspirational, informative content.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details