Discouragement. Depression. Even suicide. More and more studies reveal that people are responding in dark and dangerous ways to the stressors we face on every side. Even believers have fallen prey to what psychologists now call "pandemic fatigue," and turning on the news or viewing it online often does little to move us out of a negative mindset.
"Discouragement is a powerful drug," says Dr. Doug Stringer. And the author, speaker and president of Somebody Cares America/International knows what that means. In 2015, he received a diagnosis of stage 4 lymphoma, an aggressive cancer. What kept him going, he says, was looking past his present circumstances and believing that God had a greater purpose than what he faced at the time.
"Right now more than ever, we need to encourage people to look past the circumstances of whatever they're going through," he tells Dr. Steve Greene on a recent episode of Greenelines on the Charisma Podcast Network. "We need leaders who are courageous, persevering and godly more than ever before."
"We live in a world of great challenges, even uncertainties," Stringer says. "And there's constantly a flow of not just corporate but personal challenges in the midst of it all. So more than ever, we need those courageous leaders and those we can look to who have got God's Word, who are to share the truth and love the truth more than they love themselves.
"And yet, when we are met with unexpected detours, they can become a disruption, and discouraging to us and keep us from even focusing on our destination," he says. "So I think during these times, it's important for all of us to remember that God has a plan and a purpose that's greater than the temporary circumstances that might plague us."
For more from Dr. Doug Stringer on how you can face—and help others face—challenging times with the kind of faith that will carry you through, listen to the entire episode of Greenelines here. And be sure to check out Stringer's new book, Mending the Net: Bringing Hope in a Hurting World as well as his own podcast, A Word in Season With Doug Stringer on the Charisma Podcast Network. Be sure to subscribe to A Word in Season and Greenelines for more encouraging, inspiring content.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer