Darryl Strawberry knows all about God's grace and turning things around. During and after a stellar Major League Baseball career in which he hit 335 home runs and helped two teams to a total of four world series titles, Strawberry endured drug addiction, marriage challenges, prison time and battles with cancer.
Now a pastor and preacher of God's Word, Strawberry wants to remind you that, no matter what has transpired in your own life, God can renew you and that you can overcome anything—that God can turn things around for you if only you ask for forgiveness and surrender your life to him.
He's living proof there is redemption in Jesus Christ.
"My baseball career was set up because I was broken inside, because of the rejection on my life from my father, who was an alcoholic," Strawberry told Dr. Steve Greene on a recent episode of Greenelines on the Charisma Podcast Network. "The platform of who I was, God would eventually use that for His glory.
"I was broken. Brokenness is real. Lawlessness brings about brokenness," he said. "The pain of who I was led me to greatness, but it would also eventually lead me into a destructive behavior because I didn't get well. The wounds and the scars are real, and the pain was real. The great thing is that I eventually ended up leading my father to the Lord.
"I think a lot of people don't realize that God uses every piece of our life—the broken pieces, the good pieces—to turn it around for His good," Strawberry said. " We're still not good enough until we find Him. All that I went through, it was right for a time such as this, just so I could help that young man across the street. Everything God does for us is so that we can impact others and change the world. I'm just glad that God was able to find me and my broken pieces at the worst time of my life and then call me and qualify me and equip me to put me in the pulpit. It's incredible how good God really is when people understand."
And now, at 58, Strawberry travels the world with his wife, Tracy, preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ while teaching those who will listen how to navigate many of life's most difficult challenges.
For more of how God miraculously turned Strawberry's life around, listen to the rest of this Greenelines podcast here and be sure to subscribe for more stories like this.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details