God has granted author, actress and Bible teacher Priscilla Shirer a significant place of impact in our culture. As a Black woman who is also the daughter of respected pastor Tony Evans, Shirer recognizes she is a role model for others. But she also knows God is the one who has shaped her platform.
In a popular episode of the Greenelines podcast on the Charisma Podcast Network, Shirer opened up to host Dr. Steve Greene about her part in the Kendrick Brothers' War Room movie, which won a GMA Dove Award for Inspirational Film of the Year and an Academy Award nomination, among other honors.
"The Kendrick Brothers, who are the writers of these incredible films like Courageous and Facing the Giants, and then War Room and yes, now Overcomer, when they were writing War Room, they called me one day and said, 'Priscilla, we've been crafting our next film,'" Shirer explained. "And they said, 'Every time we write the lines for the lead character—her name is going to be Elizabeth Jordan—every time we write the lines, we're thinking to ourselves, What would Priscilla Shirer say?
"They were familiar with my ministry and my writing," she said. "And so they were saying, 'We're writing it as if you're speaking it. So we want to call and ask you, "Will you just do it?"'
"And when they asked me—me—my husband laughed out loud, and I said, 'Absolutely not. I won't do that. I am not a trained actress. And movies are not what I made for; I'm supposed to be in ministry.'
"And they said, 'Well, Priscilla, if you will read the script, we think you will see that it's not just a movie. It is ministry,'" Shirer said. "And of course, for anyone who has seen War Room, they know what I read that day. And that is that it is not just entertainment. It's a movie that has drawn people back to the priority of prayer in their lives. And so I'm so grateful that the Lord didn't let my own fears and insecurities and lack of experience keep me from the gift of being a part of the impact that War Room has had the world over.'"
To hear more from Priscilla Shirer about War Room and the key lessons she believes the film teaches, listen to the entire episode of Greenelines at this link. And be sure to subscribe to the Greenelines podcast for more inspiring episodes.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details