Many years ago, I met a quiet freshman in high school named Kevin. He started dating Allie when they were just 14. Four years later, they were still dating, and I asked Kevin, who had just graduated, to help me lead a cabin of guys for a week at summer camp. Every single day while he was away at camp, he wrote Allie a letter. I was amazed at his level of devotion and thoughtfulness. The fact that he exercised that level of maturity at age 18 made it even more amazing. Kevin and Allie continued to date through college and beyond. Today they have been married for seven years and have three kids. Kevin continues to consistently show the characteristics of a man who loves his wife in the same way he did when they were high school sweethearts.
More than once, Kevin has made me evaluate myself on how well I truly love my wife. It's always good to measure yourself in order to improve. It made me think of author Dr. Robert Lewis, who has a list of 25 characteristics of husbands who love their wives. I started to examine how many of these I possess.
How many do you think are true of you?
1. Includes his wife in envisioning the future.
2. Is willing to say "I'm sorry" and "Forgive me" to his family.
3. Discusses household responsibilities with his wife and makes sure they are fairly distributed.
4. Seeks consultation from his wife on all major financing decisions.
5. Follows through with commitments he has made to his wife.
6. Anticipates the different stages his children will pass through.
7. Anticipates the different stages his marriage will pass through.
8. Frequently tells his wife what he likes about her.
9. Provides financially for his family's basic living expenses.
10. Deals with distraction so he can talk with his wife and family.
11. Prays with his wife on a regular basis.
13. Initiates fun family outings on a regular basis.
14. Takes the time to give his children practical instruction about life.
15. Manages the schedule of the home and anticipates pressure points.
17. Makes sure he and his wife have drawn up a will.
18. Lets his wife and children into the interior of his life.
19. Accepts spiritual responsibility for his family.
22. Encourages his wife to grow as an individual.
23. Takes the lead in establishing sound family values.
24. Provides time for his wife to pursue her own personal interests.
25. Is involved in a small group of men dedicated to spiritual growth.
What do you do that shows your wife you love her?
This article originally appeared at allprodad.com.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details