After coming to salvation at age 32, Don Britton began to notice some subtle and not-so-subtle deceptions about the American church. And it greatly troubled him.
In more than 37 years since then, Britton has embarked on a quest to expose what he calls some of the greatest "myths" in the church. His book The Great Deception reveals truths that some American Christians simply may not want to hear.
"To me, the biggest myth in the church today is that you can practice sin and live a carnal lifestyle and be passive and lazy and negligent to the things of God and still go to heaven just by having church attendance, by praying a sinner's prayer or whatever you've done without committing yourself totally to the Lord," Britton told Dr. Steve Greene on a recent episode of "Greenelines" on the Charisma Podcast Network. "It's called false grace.
"I wrote this book because it exposes the major doctrinal traditions that really affect your soul. I hope that a few people will read the book and have their lives transformed and be truly saved when they think they've been saved and they haven't really. I exposed the lie about having a weekly worship-service existence versus having a life that's offered up as a sacrifice to the Lord every day of the week. I exposed the myth of the sinner's prayer, the myth of the rapture and the myth of the unconditional eternal security that people so trust in, in so many cases.
"Salvation is only found in a personal, passionate, whole-hearted, sincere, devoted and intimate relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ. That's where it's at."
Britton says some of the greatest biblical warriors most likely would not be welcome in today's pulpits because they would "tell it like it is."
"My main concern is why pastors don't just stand up and say what John the Baptist would say," Britton says. "I can only imagine if John the Baptist or Paul the apostle were to show up in any of our American churches and what they would have to say in view of the condition of our church today. It's full of sin."
For more of the myths Don Britton exposes in the today's church, listen to this podcast.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details