Dr. Mark McDonough is a survivor. As a child, he overcame Guillain-Barre Syndrome, a debilitating neurological disease. At 16, a house fire traumatized him. Not only did he lose his mother and little brother, but he also suffered burns on over 60% of his body.
He has also recovered from a paralyzing stroke and congestive heart failure that required open-heart cardiac valve surgery.
But McDonough was raised to believe that God had a reason for everything that happened to him. One of the reasons he became a plastic surgeon was to work with burn and trauma patients, and to help them find healing and encouragement for their future.
His strong faith moves him to encourage others that, even through the fire, they don't have to become angry and bitter about life's circumstances. They can survive—and thrive.
"When you don't know or can't understand what is happening to you, you need to remind yourself to check in with God," McDonough told Dr. Steve Greene on a recent episode of "Greenelines" on the Charisma Podcast. "The more clueless we are, the more we depend on Him.
"The goal for my ministry is to help other survivors to learn to live again. Through everything, God has a purpose for you. You can persevere. Surrender to His will and lean on Him, let Him be the person in charge. My faith in God is at the core of all I do, but all glory is His. Just know that you are not alone on your journey to recovery."
For the rest of McDonough's incredible story, listen to this podcast.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details