While on a trip to Nairobi, Kenya, megachurch pastor Jeremy Treat saw—and heard—something that not only stunned him, but melted his heart. As he walked through a poverty-stricken area in the Kenyan capital, Treat witnessed joy, peace and contentment through heartfelt worship, something he rarely sees in American churches.
It's a kingdom-minded attitude, Treat says, that many American churches would do well to adopt.
"When we were walking through this slum area in Nairobi, I just saw poverty like I've never seen in my life," Treat said on a recent episode of "Charisma Connection" on the Charisma Podcast Network. "We started to hear this rumbling noise in the distance, and as we got closer, I could tell that it was voices. We walked up to this shack, and I realized that it was a church service in the middle of this slum. There were about 75 people in it, and they're just worshipping Christ, completely pouring themselves out to the Lord. I remember seeing in the midst of this brokenness, they were singing 'Heaven is Breaking in Right Here.'
"These people realize that even though they have nothing in life, they've been given the immeasurable riches of God's grace in Christ. To me, that was a beautiful picture of the kingdom, because it shows how God's reign breaks into even the worst of situations. It's God's grace at work doing restoration and renewal in the middle of their pain and brokenness.
"To see the advancement of the kingdom today in Africa, in Asia, in South America—it's remarkable the things that are happening. For us in the West today, it's encouraging and exciting, because there are times when we really need to learn from our brothers and sisters in other cultures as to why they're thriving. We need to try to figure out what it looks like to be faithful."
To discover more stories about how God is working globally, listen to the podcast below.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details