This week on an episode of Fox and Friends, Pastor Ron Lewis of Every Nation Church in New York City said that pastors need to be true to their convictions instead of succumbing to fear and pressure when addressing hot-button cultural topics in the pulpit.
A new study by Barna Group, published in January, revealed that half of American pastors worry about preaching on cultural issues such as abortion, LGBTQ issues and the reality of hell simply because they might offend someone.
Lewis appeared on the Fox News show with Pastor Michael Youssef of Atlanta and Pastor Corey Brooks of Chicago.
"Because we are called of God to preach the gospel and to preach the counsel of God, we really need to be true to the Word of God and not cave into fear or the overt concern about offending people," Lewis told Dr. Steve Greene on a recent episode of "Greenelines" on the Charisma Podcast Network. "For example, the topic of hell. We need to go deeper in our theological understanding of hell.
"I know there is a movement today that would want to completely ignore hell. Obviously, universalism is growing in its popularity through certain teachers," Lewis said. "But, it's like one of the ancient men said, we shouldn't preach hell without tears in our eyes. If we really believe it, we should not be so cavalier with this. We don't want anyone to end up in hell, so we need not to be the stumbling block but let the Word of God itself penetrate the heart and also let us, as ambassadors for Christ, feel what God feels and see what He sees."
For more of Pastor Ron Lewis' thoughts on preaching on cultural issues, listen to the podcast below.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details