The Old Testament story of Job has perplexed followers of God for thousands of years. Was Job's journey one of suffering without reason, his life a tale of spiritual warfare?
Or is there another explanation?
Using exacting biblical exegesis in her award-winning book The Joy of Job, investigative reporter Maribeth Vander Weele challenges the belief that Job was a righteous man and God arbitrarily allowed him to suffer.
In an age where many preach only the concept of a loving God, Vander Weele, who says she feels like the book was "written by the Spirit," challenges this assumption and says the Bible's message requiring repentance and obedience to a holy God is often overlooked.
"God isn't capricious. He's loving, and when we don't listen to Him, He does sometimes have to take drastic measures, like turning us over to Satan," Vander Weele told Dr. Steve Greene on a recent episode of "Greenelines" on the Charisma Podcast Network. "The traditional interpretation (of the book of Job) makes God out to be a bad guy. When we look at it in another way, we fall on our knees in humility and say, 'God, how dare I accuse you of wrongdoing?'"
"I believe that the Lord brought this out in this age because we are living in an age of humanism. Humanism is where everything evolves around us and human comfort and not God's purposes. ... This isn't about us. It's about God, and it's about when we turn ourselves over to Him and allow ourselves to be used for His purposes, very powerful and miraculous things happen. But as long as we think that God is 'Santa God,' then we have an absolutely weak Christianity that no one from the outside is interested in following."
To find out more about this different take on the book of Job, listen to the podcast below.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details