"Familiarity breeds contempt" is one of those common expressions that appear to be a Proverb but fall well short of spiritual insight.
The phrase tends to indicate that the more we are around someone, the more likely it is we will miss fresh and valuable experiences from the relationship. "I know you. I know how you will respond."
I'd like to amend the expression and offer a cautionary exhortation. Expectation breeds contempt. Sometimes we see only what we expect to see. Many work teams are trapped in the zone of expectancy.
"This is all I am expected to do. I'm supposed to color inside these lines. So that's what I'll do. I'll color and I'll stay within the lines."
The opportunity for leadership is to agitate acclimation. We must lead others away from their daily routine. Leaders must reveal artificial boundaries established by their teams and break up the supposed limits.
Effective leaders continue to enlarge the performance arc. We develop our teams through work enrichment. Often, all a leader can see in a worker is a performance boundary. "He can do this, but he can't do that."
Leaders must fight the gravitational effect of performance expectations.
It's not that leaders expect too much. It's that we expect too little. We must redefine performance limitations. We must not allow our teams to become accustomed to our coloring books.
We cannot allow "performance contempt" to creep into our organization. It has viral properties.
Dr. Steve Greene is the publisher and executive vice president—Media Group, Charisma Media. Sign up here for Dr. Greene's newsletters.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details