In the mid-1970s, I remember attending an Easter service with my wife's parents.
We traveled across the country together to spend an Easter weekend with other relatives somewhere near Carlsbad, New Mexico. It was there I survived my first pseudo-skiing experience on an innertube slide down a mountain slope. I made a note to self that synthetic rubber placed in motion down an icy mountain provides no steering potential to the one stuck in the tube.
The pastor was a family member by marriage. We stayed in their large home for the weekend. The Aztec-meets-Warhol art on the walls of the home still stains my long-term memory.
On Easter morning, we were awakened by human alarm clocks called children. They stood at the foot of our bed banging copper pans with wooden spoons.
"Wake up! It's Easter!"
I bit off the ear of a chocolate bunny. It was somewhat satisfying payback.
The Easter service was liturgical. We stood, we sat, we stood, we sat. I struggled to keep up. My ears were still ringing.
I liked the pastor, but he was boring. The recitations were familiar. I knew the verses and I knew the message of resurrection. I responded like a Millennial in the '70s with folded arms.
Later that day, my father-in-law made a statement about the pastor that has remained with me throughout my career and ministry.
"I just don't know if he believes what he preached."
His delivery was monotone, academic and lifeless. Though accurate, he was hard to listen to.
My team must believe that I believe. We command attention by authentic passion.
Love leaders don't teach their teams to "fake it till they make it."
Wild rides on ice and clanging, banging pots remind me that passion penetrates the heart.
"Although I am less than the least of all the Lord's people, this grace was given me: to preach to the Gentiles the boundless riches of Christ" (Eph. 3:8).
Dr. Steve Greene is the publisher and executive vice president—Media Group, Charisma Media. Sign up here for Dr. Greene's newsletters.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer