Jesus walked the Earth as a man in the midst of an agricultural economy. As a good teacher, he taught as he walked and frequently used agricultural examples for object lessons.
Consider a few references:
the parable of the sower
a mustard seed of faith
the lesson of the fig tree
consider the lilies of the field
the workers in the vineyard
In his letter to the Galatians, Paul warned: "for the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life." (6:8)
The principle of sowing and reaping is a key biblical principle which draws from an underlying truth of agronomy.
The Interpreter's Bible refers to this section of Scripture as Paul's call for Christians to engage in "the agriculture of the Spirit."
The law of the harvest is relevant to our spiritual development and describes our destiny.
"Be not deceived. God is not mocked. For whatever a man sows, that will he also reap. For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life" (Gal. 6:7-8).
In our modern economy, we could "translate " reaping and sowing into debits and credits. For every debit, there must be a credit. The books must balance.
Sowing and reaping occur in seasons. Accounts are balanced after the harvest. Accounting operates in periods or quarters and books are closed and audited annually.
Fruit is judged. Reports are reviewed. We learn from every harvest.
Leaders plant again, fully resolved to nurture a better harvest.
Leaders debit their account for missed projections, but quickly credit their journal with experience.
Spiritual agriculture or spiritual accounting is sprinkled with grace and thrives through repentance.
Through dirt or numbers, spiritual-fact-based decision making is of the Lord.
Dr. Steve Greene is the publisher and executive vice president—Media Group, Charisma Media. Sign up here for Dr. Greene's newsletters.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer