I always notice the flowers at a funeral.
When I am officiating, the flowers seem especially comforting and perhaps brighten the mood.
At one funeral in particular, I was actually a bit frustrated with the number of flowers that surrounded the platform and casket.
I had spent many hours counseling the deceased about her issues with self-image. She felt worthless. Her boys didn't call or come visit. She had little interaction with anyone. She was alone and felt unloved.
So, when I saw what seemed to be an unusual number of flower arrangements in the chapel, it made me sad that she couldn't see the flowers.
No one sent her flowers when she was living!
I've often seen leaders make a similar mistake. They send few figurative flowers to their team. The leader is quick to critique, but slow to send love and words of life.
Then when a teammate moves on in his career, the leader spends a few remorseful days thinking about all the things he wished he had said about the teammate while employed at the company.
Leaders in the home face a similar challenge. Perhaps the home needs a fresh infusion of loving words and appreciation. Everyone needs loving words, every day.
Loving leaders miss few opportunities to offer words of life. It costs very little in time or dollars to flower a team in recognition and compassion.
Give flowers to the living.
Dr. Steve Greene is the publisher and executive vice president—Media Group, Charisma Media. Sign up here for Dr. Greene's newsletters.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details