Although God never makes mistakes, the rest of us can and do.
Many of us frequently admit, "We all make mistakes." And we say, "To err is human" and "If you're not making mistakes, then you aren't doing anything."
Leaders will usually fall into one of two camps when it comes to their culture of creativity: 1) They will discourage mistakes and respond in a punitive manner, or 2) they will encourage mistakes that occur through efforts to innovate and respond in an encouraging manner.
I believe we are influenced by the managers we served early in our careers. Much like parenting scripts, we tend to believe what we hear from our bosses as we launch out in our first few jobs. So our mistake tolerance is well-established in the early steps along our career paths.
In growing healthy organizations, love leaders establish a culture that encourages trial and error. If we want our teams to be creative, we cannot discourage the fruit of a creative thought.
Apparent mistakes may eventually prove to be long-term winners. Put another way, we must avoid the mortification of mistakes.
I know I've questioned myself a few hundred times along the way, but I've tried not to beat myself up for more than a short pity party. I've learned to expect mistakes.
I don't ever like a mistake, but I know that blunders and brilliance are kissing cousins.
Dr. Steve Greene is the publisher and executive vice president—Media Group, Charisma Media. Sign up here for Dr. Greene's newsletters.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer