Friday's List—This week's list is helpful to those who are handed a microphone when least expected. Impromptu speech making is terrifying most of the time, but a little preparation can make the experience survivable.
"Steve, come up here and share a few words about thermonuclear dynamics and the law of entropy."
Isn't that great? I was just thinking about that topic with my Cheerios this morning.
The key for me is to always expect to be called on. I learned this in college. I have one of those faces and my forehead has a sign that says, "pick me!"
If you have a preparation tip, please share it below in the comments section.
1. Memorize a couple of all-purpose quotes or relevant Scriptures. I save good quotes in my notes app on my phone. Scripture is hidden in my heart and Holy Spirit helps me share the right verses.
2. Practice telling a story about one of the big surprises in your life—explain how the surprise of "being called on" ranks right up there as a top surprise. Stories are very helpful in connecting with your audience very quickly.
3. Be the object of any humor. Pick on yourself. You probably did something funny today!
4. Shift the attention off of you and to someone you can compliment or thank in the audience. "Without Billy Bob, I wouldn't be speaking today. Let me tell you a story about Billy ..."
What if you are unexpectedly called to the platform to receive an award?
5. If you receive a plaque or trophy or any type of award, show quiet confidence. Be firm in how you thank the presenter. Tell everyone what you will do with the award and how you hope it inspires others to reach their potential. It's also a good time to share a Scripture.
Build a library in your mind. Practice thinking, "What would I say if I was called on to speak right now?"
Be ready to give an answer for the hope that is within you.
"Preach the word, be ready in season, reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with all patience and teaching" (2 Timothy 4:2).
Platform Tip No. 144
If I only told my wife one time about my love for her, how would that impact our relationship?
I've spent most of my life loving her and finding ways to say it and show it.
Love is a drip.
Your message is love. Share it with great frequency.
Dr. Steve Greene is the publisher and executive vice president—Media Group, Charisma Media. Sign up here for Dr. Greene's newsletters.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer