A football coach said, "Winning isn't about how many good plays you make—it's about how many mistakes you don't make."
I've taught college students for many years to understand that success comes by doing the little things right, every day. Successful actions accumulate. Failure occurs by doing little things wrong on a daily basis. Seemingly little mistakes accumulate.
Mistakes are obvious in sports and public performances of Puccini. In leadership, mistakes accumulate like nighttime snow. Tiny flakes pile up. The morning sun reveals the effect of one snowflake at a time.
Leaders encourage growth by trial and error. We just can't allow the mistakes to accumulate. A bad quarter is one thing. A bad decade is another.
An over-emphasis on mistakes in organizations is usually counterproductive.
A culture of dripping-gotchas will cause a team to play safe and lie low.
We cannot lead innovation by demanding an error-free environment. Effective leaders applaud a mistake that leads to organizational learning. It's the accumulation of errors that we coach our teams to avoid.
Celebrate even the smallest wins. Encourage a culture of applause. Catch people doing things right (Blanchard) and find creative ways to celebrate.
The work place becomes a sweatshop when celebrations are few. If you expect daily wins in your organization, celebrate daily wins.
Even a football fumble is celebrated when the ball bounces forward into the hands of a teammate.
Small progress accumulates.
"He who is faithful in what is least is faithful also in much. And he who is dishonest in the least is dishonest also in much" (Luke 16:10).
Platform Tip No. 143
People come to a platform for a quick solution.
Don't be a fast-food vendor.
Teach the process. Band-aids wear out.
Dr. Steve Greene is the publisher and executive vice president—Media Group, Charisma Media. Sign up here for Dr. Greene's newsletters.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer