Most leaders have found that an effective way to teach is through storytelling. Leaders like to use illustrations and analogies to make key points easier to understand.
But becoming a good storyteller is not easy. A well-told story is well constructed and edited. A story doesn't just pop-up. It is designed, rehearsed and delivered with a keen understanding of the audience.
Most of us have been forced to listen to a poorly told story with no real relevance to the discussion. It's just a story and it's boring. It did not add light to the discussion.
Storytelling for the purpose of leadership should never be approached as a random, spur of the moment illumination. It is rather to be designed and constructed with spiritual guidance. I offer these tips for your consideration and prayer:
1. Context – Every story should fit the context of the audience. We can tell the same basic story but with unique words and unique telling for each audience.
2. End it First – Think about how the story will end. Write it first. Have a very clear picture of the story within the story. How does the story help you make your point? No point, no story.
3. Experiences – Tell stories about your life experiences. How did you overcome? What changed in you because of the battle? Avoid telling stories in which you were the hero. Talk about the heroes who helped you.
(It's always better to tell your own stories. Let other people tell the stories they have lived.)
4. Edit – Storytellers fall in love with their stories and have trouble editing. It all seems important because we lived it. Leave your audience wanting to hear more of your story rather than less.
5. Rehearse – Practice telling your story often. Keep a journal or a digital note file of all the stories you want to share. Make notes about how your stories fit into various situations. It might also be good to note what story has been told to what group.
As always, we can learn from our Master Teacher. Jesus taught with object lessons, stories and parables. There was a lesson connected to each story about kingdom living and eternal life.
The best story we can tell is through the living of our life. We tell the story of Jesus every day based on how we walk and talk.
When people see authenticity in our lives, we may be presented with an open door to tell them the story of salvation.
P.S. Do you subscribe to Ministry Today? Will you please consider doing it?
With the link below you will receive my special publisher's offer. Our baseline subscription is $24.97. My offer to you is a one-year subscription (6 issues) for $10.00.
I'd like to know what you think of Ministry Today and would love to hear from you.
Please click here today for the Dr. Greene special.
"Jesus said all these things to the crowds in parables. And without a parable He did not speak to them, to fulfill what was spoken by the prophet, saying: 'I will open My mouth in parables; I will say things which have been kept secret since the foundation of the world'" (Matt. 13:34-35).
Platform Tip No. 113
How do you define success in platform building? I hope it's not based on thumbs or applause.
The reward of an effectual platform is the help we give to others. Platforms are built for acts of service.
If we have a servant's mentality, we show up every day on platform with a powerful message to help people with their felt need.
Do you want to learn more about developing your personal platform?
For my free eBook 7 Reasons Your Organization Suffers from Marketing Malpractice, plus 3 Things to do NOW to Prevent Further Damage, click here.
Dr. Steve Greene is the publisher and executive vice president—Media Group, Charisma Media. Sign up here for Dr. Greene's newsletters.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer