Many people ignore potential warning signs of cancer, a new British survey found.
The study involved 1,700 people aged 50 and older in the United Kingdom who completed a health questionnaire listing 17 symptoms, including 10 widely publicized possible cancer symptoms.
The symptoms included:
- Unexplained cough
- Unexplained bleeding
- Significant changes in bowel or bladder activity
- Unexplained lumps
- Changes in appearance of a mole
While 53 percent of the participants said they had experienced at least one of the potential cancer symptoms in the previous three months, only 2 percent thought cancer was a possible cause of those symptoms.
In many cases, people attributed potential signs of cancer to reasons such as age, infection, arthritis, cysts and hemorrhoids, according to the Cancer Research U.K.-funded survey. It was published Dec. 2 in the journal PLOS One.
"Most people with potential warning symptoms don't have cancer, but some will and others may have other diseases that would benefit from early attention," lead author Dr. Katriina Whitaker, senior research fellow at University College London, said in a Cancer Research U.K. news release.
"That's why it's important that these symptoms are checked out, especially if they don't go away. But people could delay seeing a doctor if they don't acknowledge cancer as a possible cause," Whitaker added."It's concerning that even the more obvious warning symptoms, such as unexplained lumps or changes to the appearance of a mole, were rarely attributed to cancer, although they are often well-recognized in surveys that assess the public's knowledge of the disease," she said.
Sara Hiom, director of early diagnosis at Cancer Research U.K., said in the news release: "Diagnosing cancer early saves lives because it gives patients a better chance that treatments will be successful."
For the original article, visit newsmaxhealth.com.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details