'It Was Like We Were in Hell': Family Grateful for "Miracle' Rescue From Deadly Flames

(YouTube/ABC7NY)
The parents of a baby girl rescued from a burning building by New York City firemen Thursday morning are "speechless" and deeply grateful.

The dramatic recovery, captured on film, unfolded when a blaze started in a Brooklyn, New York, apartment around 2 a.m. Firefighters rushed to the scene to shatter windows and save trapped residents from high-up floors.

While footage shows rescue workers helping numerous people exit the building, video of a 16-month-old baby girl being handed to a firefighter from the third floor has sparked the most attention.

The family of that child—whose name is Savanah—has spoken about the experience, with mom Nicole Martin telling WABC-TV she was petrified when the fire broke out.

"All I could think of was the fire in the Bronx," Martin said, reflecting on the now-infamous January fire that killed 19. "And I was like, we're going to die, we're going to die."

Her husband, Onex Aviles, further described the dire situation in which the family found itself.

"We looked through the peephole, and all you see is black," he said. "So it was just impending doom. It was like we were in hell."

For the rest of this story, please visit our content partners at faithwire.com.

Reprinted with permission from Faithwirecom. Copyright © 2022 The Christian Broadcasting Network Inc. All rights reserved.

Read articles like this one and other Spirit-led content in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.


To contact us or to submit an article, click here.


Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.

Charisma News - Informing believers with news from a Spirit-filled perspective