It is the will of God for every believer to speak in tongues. First Corinthians 14:2-4 shows us one of the tongues that is your prayer language. For those who say, "This doesn't belong to me," then my question would be, "Does edification belong to you as a Christian?" Of course.
So how can you receive this gift of speaking in tongues?
1. You must receive Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior. The Bible says, "He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living waters" (John 7:38). It doesn't say these rivers will flow out of the throne of God. Instead, you have this well, "a river of living waters," that wants to be released through your mouth.
2. Relax. In Acts 2:2, it shows us the disciples were not striving, or kneeling and praying—they were sitting. Sitting is a relaxed position. Speaking in tongues is the Holy Spirit being released through you. It's about surrendering. Rest in His love for you.
3. Your choice is involved. The Scripture says, "And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues, as the Spirit enabled them to speak" (Acts 2:4). It does not say the Spirit spoke—they spoke in tongues. The Lord will not override your free will.
4. Your faith is needed. Some people believe something just comes over you and you begin to speak in tongues. That's not the case; it takes faith to trust that God will add meaning to the sounds you release.
5. You must remove every fear that the tongues spoken are not from God. Luke 11:13 shows your heavenly Father is not going to give you a stone. He won't fill you with a demonic entity when you ask Him to fill you with the Holy Spirit. Trust in God and in His Scripture.
Listen to my full podcast episode on the Charisma Podcast Network.
Vladimir Savchuk is the lead pastor of Hungry Generation Church and author of Break Free, Single, Ready to Mingle and Fight Back. He is also a founder of a virtual online school. To download free e-books, sermon series and small group study guides, go to vladimirsavchuk.com.
Read articles like this one and other Spirit-led content in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details