Recovery from the pandemic has been a slow process for churches and individuals alike. Author and pastor of The Potter's House in Dallas, Texas, Bishop T.D. Jakes says the church must rise to the challenge of fostering both physical and spiritual healing.
"The church is needed more than ever before. The gospel is needed more than ever before," Jakes says in a recent panel on churches and COVID-19. He believes it's vital to find "ways that we can minister to the souls of men, the emotions, the mind, memories in a holistic way."
"If you're not sleeping right, if you're not eating right, if you're having digestive issues," he continues, "it may be coming from suppressed trauma that may not be showing outwardly but may be eating you up inwardly."
In this, he says, "ministry is very helpful."
Quoting Bishop Vashti McKenzie of the African Methodist Episcopal Church, Jakes observes, "trouble doesn't last always, but trauma lasts for a while." Just because the trouble dissipates, "does not mean that the trauma is gone," Jakes says, and this is exactly where the church needs to step in.
Jakes points out that the residue of trauma is prevalent by the increase in gun violence, the "escalation" of murders, divorce and spousal abuse, at especially high numbers during the pandemic. These things need to be a top priority for the church to address, Jakes says.
He then correlates Psalm 142:4 when "David said, 'No man cared for my soul,'" with the responsibility of the church to care for the whole human being, not just the encouragement of physical health.
He says, "The doctors can care for your body, but the church cares for your soul. So whether it takes therapy, counseling, but most of all ministry, to get you to well, that's what we want to see happen."
Read articles like this one and other Spirit-led content in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details